Saturday, November 13, 2010


Nicki Minaj and Will.I.Am star in their new music video, "Check It Out" (the above clip), a new song that is popular in the United States. Within the video. Will.I.Am and Nicki Minaj not only connect to the population of the United States but made their music video connect with the Korean population. There were many instances where the Korean culture was shown in the design of the music video. One of the instances includes the Korean clothing. Being a fan of both Nicki Minaj and Will.I.Am, I am aware that the clothing that they both wear in the music video is not typically affiliated in their wardrobe. The clothing design as a whole is colorful and the design is more intricate especially in the hat and in the jumpsuit. Conversing with my design group in class, we came to the conclusion that the jumpsuit that Nicki Minaj wears in the middle of the music video can be seen as propaganda for a movie that is coming out in December by the name of "Tron". Although the jumpsuit has Korean roots, this was seen as propaganda simply because of the futuristic vibe that the suit gives out, which "Tron"focuses on. Korean is also optically seen in the music video from the 3D words that pop out, emphasizing the last words that are said by either Nicki Minaj or Will.I.Am. Focusing on society, this music video combines Korean and American mannerisms, united both countries into one culture wise. Nicki Minaj and Will.I.Am are communicating to their audience that they are open to other traditions and cultures, augmenting their chances of getting more view from different cultures simply because of the new Korean connection that they make.

dG

1 comment:

  1. I love this song & video so much. One of my favorites this year.

    ReplyDelete