Monday, November 8, 2010

Collision of Word and Image

Posters. Physically, they can be made from paper, cardboard or a nice writing surface, that include writing of some sort. Posters can be attractive to the human eye either by the decor of the poster or by the writing. In this poster shown, the writing was what intrigued me and this is the reason why I have decided to include this picture in my blog. The sign is held by a girl which states "Why is it that as a culture we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? More love less ", something that I am very strong about. Gay rights is something that I hold very dear to my heart and after reading this poster/picture, I felt my heart sink, something that the creator of the poster might have wanted his/her audience to experience. I remember that I had to read this picture multiple of times before I said, "They are so right."
The complete design of the poster connects not only to the audience but to the society as a whole. Even though the poster is not that decorated or appealing to the human eye, the message that is written in the poster is enough to make an audience question this and give their own opinion. Our society, at this point in time, is either accepting of the gay society or against the gay society and this poster just questions our society; are we really that ignorant that we are more open to men holding guns and starting violence than accepting a homosexual couple being intimate in public? This simple design of paper, use of marker and colors, evokes so much emotions and connects to society by asking a simple question; design, in this case, rules.

dG

No comments:

Post a Comment